Sunday, July 5, 2009

Q&A with Ninnycat Crochet

Put your hands together for the best in the DC Crochet business, Ninnycat Crochet! (Hold for applause.)

1). Ninnycat is such an original name. What’s the story behind it?
Well, my family nickname is Vinny, short for Vanessa. When my little cousins got old enough to speak, we would try to teach them my name. Of course Vanessa was hard for a two-year old to say! "Call me Vinny; Vee-nee!"
"Ninny; Nee-nee!"
Me and my family thought it was so cute, and the name ended up sticking. Now everyone I know calls me Ninny :)


2). I noticed on your blog, you spent a lot of time in New York City. How do you think the craft scene in DC rivals with the craft scene in NYC?
I think the craft scene in DC is a little more accessible to its customers and fanbase. Living in New York all my life, I never found out about great craft events going on in the city until they already passed! I really appreciate how much DC supports its local artists; you can find out about so many goings-on just by reading your local paper or hitting up Craigslist.

3). What three words would you use to describe your craft?
Hmm, let's see ... three words ... I guess I'd say girly, simple and humble. Maybe not the most exciting words to try and market myself with, but I do what I love and I'm happy to be so well received when I go and sell!

4). Tell us a little bit about your other business, Ninny Honeybee.
Before moving to DC, I worked in pastries, having a ball making cakes and tarts, spinning ice-cream, making petit fours. I will never miss the long hours, though :) So I've been trying to pool resources here in DC so that I can start a little baking business from home, my little Ninny Honeybee. I'll soon have a certified professional kitchen to rent for production, then (fingers crossed!) I can get my bake on!

5). Where can we find your craft outside the Ballston Arts & Crafts Market?
You can catch me at the hot spot, the hot spot:
- Crafty Bastards this September in DC
- DC Craft Mafia's Holiday Heist this November in Vienna, VA
- At next year's Ballston A&C Market
- At your mom's. Kidding!

Catch Ninnycat with some of her Craft Mafia buddies each and every month at the Ballston Arts & Crafts Market!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Ninnycat Crochet's work. I bought one of her baby hats for a friend. And she's a fellow DC Craft Mafia craftinista, too!

Erica Burns said...

Yay Ninny!