Monday, May 17, 2010

Q&A with Clean Slates

1). So, please tell us how you came up with the name of your business, “Clean Slates.”

I came up with the name for my pottery, "Clean Slates," because I use this phrase a lot! Whenever I needed to solve a conflict with my darling offspring (four kids!), I would stress the importance of accepting responsibility, apologizing and then moving on -- learning from the lesson -- a fresh start. A clean slate. The pottery is actually clean slates!

2). I love the bright, vivid colors you use in your pieces. When did you decide to become a potter?

I decided to become a potter the first time I touched clay! I got a summer job with the City of Fairfax in the art workshop many moons ago. A very talented art teacher worked there and introduced me to the wheel. I just loved it! I worked there for five summers. I put this love on the back burner for 20 years to raise my children. In 2002, I got back into and was lucky enough to get my own kiln.

3). What three words would you use to describe your craft?

earthy, functional, unique

4). What inspires you when you are designing?

[My inspiration comes] mostly through food! I love to create pieces that are functional and great for entertaining. I love the bright colors for a "Cinco de Mayo" party! I also get inspired by the ocean. I make the shells that have soft, peaceful colors; or blues to represent waves.

5). Where can we find your craft outside the Ballston Arts & Crafts Market?

At this time I just participate in local shows, such at the City of Fairfax in the fall or the Middleburg Holiday show. I do not have a website at this time.

Bonus question: Quick! What’s in your pockets right now?

A hole is burning with all the money I make selling pottery. I can still dream!

Catch Clean Slates and her magnificent pottery at Booth #12 at the June 12th Market!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

woo-hoo, can't wait to see what you've been creating. Hope to see you June 12!! Debbie, Anne'neighbor