Thursday, June 2, 2011

Q&A with Artologica

1). You cover everything from bacteria to bunny rabbits. Where does your inspiration come from? 
I get a lot of inspiration from the paint itself. I just love seeing all the cool things that watercolor paint does, the different ways you can use it. I actually started painting cells by accident, just making patterns with the paint, and scientists who saw them would tell me they looked like cells or amoebas.  So, I got more and more interested in the science part, so now I just read tons of articles about science, mainly biology, and I'm always finding new ideas for images.  

2). When did you first realize that you were an artist?  Is this a medium you have always worked in?   
It's funny, I used to work as a management consultant and I never thought of myself as artistic. But even then, I used to take images that I would copy, cut out, and pin up on my cubicle for decoration. But, it took a long time before I really found direction and got serious with it.

 3). Can you describe what kind of setting you like to paint in? Is there music, messiness, candles, TV, etc?  
No candles - I would definitely set my paper on fire!  Yeah, I'm pretty messy, but I work at home, so I try to keep it somewhat under control. I always have music when I paint. I can get kind of obsessive about having just the right songs.

4). What three words would you use to describe your craft? 
Color. Shape. Science.  

5). My cousin in Reston told me you were her favorite local artist. So, where else can we find your craft outside the Ballston Arts & Crafts Market?  
That's so nice to hear! Well, I'll be back at Ballston in August, but you can find me online at www.artmonger.net. You can link to my etsy shops from there (artologica.etsy.com and artmonger.etsy.com) and also see the rest of my upcoming show schedule. You can also follow me on Twitter (@artologica) where I spend way too much time.  

Random Bonus Question: What’s your favorite mythological creature?  
Jabberwocky.   


Artologica will exhibit at the next Ballston A&C Market on Saturday, June 11th!

1 comments:

backdrops for photography said...

Oh cool! She has a unique sense of style. I'll be following her on Twitter. :)