Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Yinibini Q&A

1). I gotta ask. What’s the story behind the name of your business, Yinibini?
It's a play on my first name 'Soyini' from when I was a kid ... you know that Banana-fo-fana song? Well, as kids, we all sung it with each other's name as a tease. So, mine went something like "Soyini, bini, fo-fini, fee fi fofini--bini" or something like that. I drew off of this rhyme and added "bini" to the last four letters of my first name. And so that was the birth of the brand "Yinibini."

2). You create a lot of different products, from baby bibs & tees to Caribbean-themed jewelry. Do you have a favorite to create?
I really enjoy making baby clothing and accessories the most because I get a kick out of seeing the babies wearing the clothes and accessories and looking so cute! I'm also happy to create peices that their parents love and enjoy putting on their babies.

3). What three words would you use to describe your craft?
colorful, pop-art chic, comfortable

4). My favorite place in the world is Virgin Gorda. How has the Caribbean inspired you and your designs?
My life in the Caribbean has really opened my eyes to the beauty of nature, color and culture, and I enjoy experimenting with different color combiniations. Sometime while I'm working in my studio, I draw off of memories of things I have seen, such as the market lady with her full skirt and a basket of colorful fruit on her head, or the bright red hibiscus flower bush that my uncle used to trim, or sometimes, even the colorful kites that were flown during Easter.

5). Where can we find your craft outside the Ballston Arts & Crafts Market?
You can purchase the Yinibini Baby collection at ArtSpring in Silver Spring, Maryland and the jewelry at A Show of Hands in Virginia. I also appear at a number of craft shows, so to find out where I will be next, just visit my blog.

Bonus question: So, ninja pandas or a yeti. Who would win?
Ninja pandas, of course!

0 comments: